|Lady Luck, pancake doll, playing cards and buttons.|
Saturday, March 01, 2014
This is a good video that sums up the steps in 10 minutes.
Step one is to cut the squares. Some instructions say to make the batting squares the same size as the fabric squares, I decided to make them smaller.
The next step is to make the sandwich, with batting the filling. Then a big X across the squares to hold the batting in place.
As you see, I created 6" and 5" squares with a pattern I made. In spite of my best efforts this is what happened. This was true of two rows, I added a strip of red fabric, to the front and back of each sandwich.
After I fixed that mistake, when I had finished sewing all the strips I discovered that on one piece I had failed to catch the fabric on one side.
Did a rip, and resewed by hand the side. After that was done, I did the cutting that creates the rag quilt. I used the Fiskars rag scissors, but any scissor with a fine serrated edge will do, and I think a regular scissors would also have a good effect.
Ready to be washed, this step assures the fuzzy edges that characterize one side of this quilt.
Here it is in all its fuzzy glory.
This is what the back of the quilt looks like.
This was a lap quilt and I've already used it while watching television.
Sunday, February 09, 2014
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Saturday, January 04, 2014
Monday, December 23, 2013
Thursday, December 19, 2013
Sunday, November 24, 2013
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Monday, November 18, 2013
Sunday, November 10, 2013
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Thursday, October 03, 2013
The Teaspoon Lady pattern is from Tone Finnanger's book "Tilda's Fairy Tale Wonderland". I have two suggestions when making this doll. When I was stuffing the doll I found it difficult to keep the stuffing in the head. I took the stitch you see at the neck. After the doll is finished I snipped this stitch. On the doll bottom the original instructions direct one to pull the fabric and leave the stuffing exposed, reasoning that the doll is going to be glued into a teacup. I made a little yo-yo and attached it to the bottom of the dolls.
|Teaspoon Lady under construction|
|Teaspoon Lady dressed for Halloween|